Outlining with OneNote (it comes with Microsoft office suite)

I just had another thought- has anyone tried doing outlining with OneNote? If you’ve ever used it, it’s a nifty deal which is packaged with the MS Office Suite, and it is a program where you can drag and drop stuff from webpages, or type notes, or drag and drop pictures, and so on. If you copy paste from a webpage, it’ll give a linkback to the URL of the page you grabbed it from and append that to the end of the pasted content. It does a bunch of other stuff… but I wonder if anyone ever used it for outlining? You’ve probably all got this program, but it doesn’t seem to get used much.

A quick google search found this: Life Hacker onenote. But can it be used for outlining a book?

6 thoughts on “Outlining with OneNote (it comes with Microsoft office suite)

  1. I wasn’t all that fussed with OneNote using it for school. Sounds like those features are pretty much the same as what I could do with Scrivener if I actually opened up Scrivener…


  2. Isn’t Scrivener much more focused on outlining, though? I’ve found that if you’re freeforming it, it helps to have an outline for your outline. Scrivener does that, unless it’s named Bartleby, and then it’d prefer not. I really need to get my hands on Scrivener to see what I’m missing.


    • If you want to be really free-form/mind-mappy then you probably want something like Scapple. Scrapple? Something like that. Yea, Scrivener has a lot of stuff built in to be as outline oriented as you want–the corkboard feature comes immediately to mind. Granted, I’ve barely used it, and didn’t like it for writing short stories, but will probably use it for the novel. Also, I’ve got the Windows version, which I’ve heard is a bit lacking compared to the Mac version.


  3. Scrapple? That’s the drink Rush Limbaugh was pushing back in the 90s, right? 😀

    That’s strange that the Mac version is better than the Windows. In this Windows-centric universe, it always surprises me when someone writes a program to make a profit and his first target is only 3% of the entire market… oh, and I’ll give the scraps to the other 97%. It doesn’t matter how much you love the Mac, it’s a better business decision to sell to the Windows users.

    And that, in a nutshell, tells me that Scrivener may not have the brightest marketing brains behind it.

    Mind map… heh. I tried doing a bubble map, once. I was proud of it, then my wife looked at it, and said, “Is this supposed to be a bubble map?”
    “Yeah,” I said, defensively, “why?”
    “You did it wrong.”
    “What?! No way. It’s a bubble map. There’s no right or wrong way.”
    “Yes there is.”
    [Argument ensues.]

    It’s going to be excel, for now. I don’t need a program to do the log line. The rest of it, maybe. I’m thinking of that PDF of forms with the on -paper outlining I mentioned in that other post, and it seemed to be really detailed. I can print it out, give it a try, maybe I hate it, maybe I don’t.


    • Apparently the creator of it is a Machead? I met some writers at a conference last fall that use the Mac version, & they love it, but one is also a computer guy & he said there are definitely some shortcomings in the Windows version. All the love went into the Mac one & the MS version only came out to make some money/appease the masses crying for it.

      Best of luck with the outlining! I have sort of a love-hate relationship with the process.


      • You know my relationship is a hate-hate with it. I’m trying to reconcile. I know I will.

        I don’t get Mac people. It seems like throwing away money. Really. 3% of the market. That just seems stupid.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s